Sunday, October 14, 2007

New Modem

Had no choice but to go and get this ADSL modem - my backup modem is driving me nuts with its built-in firewall. Didn't realise that pure ADSL modems are a rare breed nowadays; most have routers and firewall built into them. Hope that this one will do the trick. For a simple modem though, there's a lot of settings that can be modified, although there is no built-in firewall, thankfully.

My Xyxel ADSL modem (Prestige 600 Series)

Actually wanted to get an ASDL broadband router modem, but didn't know how the firewall settings would screw up the torrenting, so I settled on this first. Can always buy a broadband router later on - the price almost comes up to the same.

So far so good, although there was a scare early on when some of the settings changed and I couldn't access the PPPoE. But everything is fixed now. Just hope that it will serve me well...

No comments: