Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Animal Farm

A funny (that's one way to look at it) incident happened on my way back from Kota Baru this evening. I was at KL Sentral station after taking the ERL all the way from KLIA, when I first heard this one group of youths waiting for the LRT train (yup, heard them) making animal sounds - goat, cow, monkey, dog and you name it - towards a group of girls. And not being stereotypical, you can guess which majority race they were from... They were already drawing bemused and occasional disgusted looks from my fellow Malaysians.

So when the train arrived, I thought it would end there - but alas I was greatly mistaken! The cacaphony continued into the near-packed train. Being the civilised and non-confrontational Malaysians we were, no one raised a voice. Yup, not even the PUTRA security guard who came aboard to see what all the fuss was about. But fortunately for me, the torture only lasted 10 minutes. God knows where they went, and God help the people there...

But it just amazes me how youths these days pay little attention or respect towards others - be it on the road, on the pavement, or even on public transport. No one would give a hoot (up to certain tolerance levels, I guess) if they were to do this in the confines of their homes, but to do this in-your-public-face just demonstrates the utter contempt these individuals have.

'Kurang ajar!' we would say in Malay...but they wouldn't be bothered the least! Where have all manners gone?

No comments: