Friday, September 14, 2007

Of earthquakes, aftershocks and tremors

Every time an earthquake strikes these days, the first picture that comes to mind is a tsunami. After all, tsunami was stuff of legends before 2004. So when an earthquake struck southern Sumatra on Wednesday - tsunami warnings went off all over the region. Dunno about you, but for tsunami to strike Penang when the earthquake is in southern Sumatra seems far-fetched to me. Anyway I am not an expert. Of course it is better to be safe than sorry.

But the aftershocks really caused some tremors here in KL. Actually I thought I felt something, but it could have been my stomach rumbling. Anyway, any vibration is enough to send people scurrying out of their high-rises these days.

Since we are so close to the Ring-of-Fire, we should brace ourselves for more tremors and tsunami warnings. It is unavoidable. Let's pray there is no repeat of 2004.

No comments: