Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Kota Baru: 8-11 September 2007

Was in Kota Baru over the weekend for a company trip. Wow...it's amazing how the town has grown over the last ten years since the last time I had been there. And there are traffic jams too! Weather was a bit on the hot side...I guess it was better than if it was raining. The hotels were nothing to shout about (I won't name names) - pretty old and run down but live-able, if your expectations are not too high. I'll make it a point to stay at the newer hotels the next time around. People there are rather nice as a whole, although they view non-Kelantanese a bit suspiciously. I'm not surprised as Kelantanese supposedly are very parochial and more xenophobic than people from other states.

Was introduced to this fare called nasi kukus - which is supposed to be like some form of glutinous rice with your choice of dishes. Unfortunately for me, I can't tell the difference so it ended up tasting up like normal rice for me! Anyway, it's a change from the usual food I partake. Sorry, no pics! Maybe the next time around. But I missed tasting nasi kerabu (which I quite fancied when I was in Kota Baru previously).

A bit difficult to travel around though, as the buses and taxis were difficult to find. You have to call for taxis, and the charges were exorbitant - so a bit difficult if you have to lug bags all over the place. Guess I need a car if I want to explore. Didn't have the time to visit the places of interest. It's all about work.

Speaking of work - it is quite enjoyable as I get to travel around and see different places. Not so boringlah... Next stop Johor Baru!

No comments: