Sunday, January 20, 2008

Cloverfield

My fourth movie in a week! Must be getting an overdose - perhaps that's why I'm having a hangover. No wait...that's not it! Oh yeah - it's the movie. Well, for those who haven't watched it yet: be warned - you might wanna bring along a barf bag, and hold the food too...

That aside, this movie is great. Fully shot from a videocam and from a first person point of view, ala Blair Witch, it's a novel approach to a monster movie. Well it started slow, but the action quickly heats up as the monster attacks. What keeps the viewers on the edge of their seats is the monster itself. JJ is great - he kept the 'star' under wraps, adding to the suspense, till the end of the movie. Which is fantastic. Actually the big one looks a bit like a praying mantis; the smaller ones like spiders. But why do all these monsters have to feed on humans? Well it's got its shortcomings - like how the videocam continuously film for eight hours, and how the tape survived the whole carpet bombing of the city... Don't think into it too much - just enjoy the movie.

I guess a lot of people couldn't take the nauseating side effect of the movie - quite a number left halfway. And most who stayed had some form of headache and dizziness, including myself. Nevertheless I enjoyed the movie greatly. Unfortunately I just learnt that I missed something after the ending credits - a hint of a sequel...

Think I'll get the DVD when it comes out...that way I can watch it over and over again...minus the hangover!

No comments: