Thursday, March 01, 2007

Pop!

Well, the bubble burst on the stock market...finally!! It had to come some time anyway; what goes up must come down. In all honesty, stock markets all over the world are a bit superheated, week after week of gains without a correction in sight; something had to give eventually - so this time around it was China, and the rest tumbled like dominoes.

10% isn't that much, considering the gains the markets had made over the last 3 months. But a lot of people (myself included) were spooked that the fall came over a period of five days or so...and just at the time when the retailers were coming into the market. I guess that sent them scurrying back into their little hiding places to lick their wounds.

Personally my experience in the stock markets taught me a valuable lesson...my timing sucks, and I have to be more disciplined in managing my investments - at least I don't have to come to grief that often. But in all fairness, most of my investments are in fundementally good companies and I should not be afraid; just toughen it out and I think I would be OK eventually.

The market will recover eventually. Guess that I have to stick to my investments for the long-term. And the recent falls presented buying opportunities...so who knows? The coming elections will provide the spark.

After all, the government have to make money for the coming elections, doesn't it?

No comments: