Saturday, March 17, 2007

300 Wild Hogs...really!

Watched 300 last night...what at a cinema? Of course not...downloaded a screener from the Internet (that's camera version but I guess touched up a bit with a quality improvements). Video is OK but sound is not so good; mostly a bit dark, but all screeners are like that - I guess a trade-off for getting movies fast, and not paying much for a slice of entertainment.

OK, I think that the basic movie premise is correct historically, the acting is fair, and the action is stylised but acceptable. A bit too much gore in it, especially with the chopping of heads and blood-spurting, but enough to quench the thirst of most remaining cinema-goers. A lot have been said about the use of CGI in this movie, to give it the larger-than-life feel, and I agree - personally I am not too excited about it but it does give the movie an extra oomph.

Wild Hogs on the other hand is the more traditional form of movie, and being a comedy it's so so. There are its funny points but all in all I think the movie is just so so, and can be yawning at times. It will still draw it's crowds, and it's place a the box office - with the likes of John Travolta, Tim Allen - what show wouldn't? But I guess biker movies are not commonplace in mainstream US cinema, and worth exploiting?

My comment...300 over Wild Hogs anytime!

No comments: