Sunday, August 27, 2006

Memories #1

Well I was a bit nostalgic this week, thinking of my childhood. It's a bit sad because I can't remember very much of my early childhood; but I do remember somewhat the later years.

Lets see: was in kindie in 1980s, was a kindergarten near where I live: it's called Joy Kindergarten. I remember going there from 9 am to 12 pm everyday, by bus. Yellow-coloured mini-bus (which incidentally I used until Standard Six) - well I called it Auntie bus. Guess I enjoyed kindie a bit, used to get a lot of stars for my work. It's how they reward our work (A's and B's were not there yet). I used to have some of the work until a few years back; did some house cleaning and threw most of the stuff away. Looking at it brings back a bit of memories. I didn't remember much of kindie though.

Primary school: SRK Seaport. Was there for six years. Met a lot of people; but they come and go. Met my best friend there too: now he's in UK as a physician. Yeah I remember the first time we met: he helped me tie my shoelaces. Since then we remained best of friends, though we may have lost contact a bit, but we still met together. Well, we had a few friends, but the years passed very fast. I remember this hopscotch game and this marble game (guli: we used to dig a small hole, each of us had a marble ball which we used to put the marble into the hole, or smash our opponent's marble to bits in order to prevent them from going into the hole!!) I also remember the bottle cap game, card games (that was trying to flip as many cards using palm power), frisbee and chopping (similar games, trying to hit another person using a frisbee [wasn't a real frisbee: we used the plastic milk can covers] and tennis ball). I was first bullied then, Std Four I think. Cried all the way to the headmistress' office. Brings back memories... And in Std Six, classmate asked me what masturbate was (because my English was good); I thought it was master-bed and told him so...was a bit miffed when he laughed, so I got back and checked the dictionary: that was the end of my innocence.

Hmm, guess the 80s were prime days for me. Remember Beat It (MJ) and Every Breath You Take (Police) very well. Also a lot of songs by Cyndi Lauper. Oh those pop songs were wonderful. Then came Phil Collins, New Kids on the Block, Paula Abdul. Sports wise, I remember the 1985 Heysel disaster (actually I woke up to see the match and saw a lot of smoke, and found out that the match was delayed, so I went to sleep, and didn't find out about the disaster till the next morning!!). Selangor were kings of football then. Otherwise nothing much about sports other than that.

TV shows: Greatest American Hero, A-team, McGyver, Knight Rider, Airwolf and Blue Thunder. The period was great for family sitcoms: Gowing Pains, Silver Spoon, Full House, Alf and there was this series about a robot girl VICKI. Sci-Fi: hmm, I remember V, the old Battlestar Galactica. Cartoons: Transformers of course, parts of Robotech, things like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Visionaries, Voltron, and i think many others. I went for my first cinema screening in 1988: sad, isn't it...guess what show? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, har...har...

Well, I'll continue my memories later.

No comments: