Tuesday, August 29, 2006

A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes... #1

My wish list this coming Budget 2006 (hey, everyone is entitled to his/her wish):

1. Salary increase
Yahoo! A salary increase for all civil servants. We know civil servants are poorly paid for the amount of work we do (I'm strictly speaking of health staff), but sadly I can't say the same for the rest of the service. Maybe it'll be a motivation for a better working environment and discorages corruption to a certain extent (am I kidding myself??) It's been a long time coming you know...

2. Reduction in personal tax
Actually at approx 12-15% for most people, the tax rates are quite low, but based on actual take home income it's quite high; so there's a possibility of it being lowered. maybe certain allowances such as on-call allowances can be made tax-exempt as well. Hey, I'm a nice guy (since I won't be able to pay tax next year...that's how low my salary is, and hence #1), I can wish for others too can't I?

3. Tax rebates for more purchases
Now limited to computers (once every five years, sheesh!), books and magazines. Maybe it should be widened to other electronic equipment, cars, houses etc. Would really promote domestic spending, I think...

4. Higher sin taxes
Increase the taxes for cigarette and alcohol companies. You look at the people around you and you know how much these two are generating in terms of revenue. Especially cigarettes. Nowadays more and more people, especially the younger generation are smoking. And since smoking and alcohol consumption is associated with a lot of diseases, increasing taxes and hence raising the selling price would deter consumption wouldn't it? Nah...but at least the government will earn a bit more...

5. Bonus time
It's about time the government gives a bigger bonus than the regular one month bonus...maybe two months bonus this year, in view of the price increases we have to tolerate. And keep it up for the subsequent years, unless they increase the basic salary for us civil servants.

And that's my wish this year. Hope it comes true...

No comments: