Saturday, February 17, 2007

Happy Chinese New Year

Today is the last day of the old Lunar Chinese Year (of the dog)...and tomorrow is the Chinese New Year. The coming year is the year of the pig (or boar...politically correct here of course). All the spring cleaning has been done, and tonight is the homecoming dinner. Well, I'm not in Sabah anymore so this year will be a bit low key I guess...anyway I expect my relatives to be around, so it'll be quite noisy I guess.

To me Chinese New Year celebrations are overhyped..maybe because I'm older and preoccupied with a lot of other things on my mind...but even as a kid I wasn't too into Chinese New Year. Then it means going to Pulau Ketam to my grandma's place, enduring a 1 1/2 hour boat ride, a few days without running water and limited electricity (and of course television) supply. But I guess it was a bit fun and full of memories (I think...)

Anyway Chinese New Year nowadays reminds me of sweltering hot days and times spent inside watching TV...not much visiting for me. Maybe it'll be a bit different this year, who knows?

Anyway wishing everyone a Happy Chinese New Year!!

No comments: