Monday, January 01, 2007

Resolutions

Ahh...it's that time of year again, to look back on the year gone by and to look forward on the year to come. I guess I have been pulled into that same whirlpool of self-reflection and resolution making that characterizes the end-of-year behaviour of most of humanity.

Well I'm not the kind of person who makes many notes, so I'll try to make a brief one here, for posterity's sake:

1. Huff and puff, I'll blow the house down
I guess I have to start being less of a couch/mouse potato and more physical-activity friendly. To me that's the euphemism for: exercise!! Well, being a doctor I know the benefits of exercising. To the death believe me. But working in the Emergency Department is exercise enough! And also stressful. And I suppose the need to breathe in fresh air now and then. And hope I don't get bitten by the Aedes mosquito during the evenings (but wait! there's no fresh air then - danged it...it means I have to get up early!). Which bring's me to...

2. Early bird gets the worm
Oh I wake up early enough...but this means that instead of lying awake on the bed, I get off my behind and do something useful: like reading the newspaper, doing some housework etc. Yeah right...

3. Just Do It!
No, no, I'm not going to buy a Nike outfit (I'm not into designer labels anyway). There's a lot of things I wanna do but haven't have the time to do it: going on holidays, meeting old friends, striking up new ones, looking for another job etc. So I feel this is going to be the year to do so... Whoa! Looking for a new job you say??

4. Sunset and sunrise
Oh no, I'm not going up Mt. Kinabalu to watch the sunrise (hey I was there for six years and never did that...do you think I'm gonna do it now??). I feel that this is the year I'm gonna quit from the civil service, which is something I wanted to do for a long time, but never got around to doing it. What am I gonna do after that? That's the thousand ringgit question (err, I'm not worth any million anytime soon you know) but I fancy something totally different. Yeah, it may not be suited to my personality - trying something new - but there's a time for everything right?

Rats...only four? Well it's better than none. It is said it's better to make a few resolutions you can achieve than make tons that you can't. Perhaps...so I'll start off small and go along from there. Wish me luck!!

No comments: